Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Driver's Licenses

U.S. Driver's Licenses in Hungary

U.S. driver's licenses will be accepted in Hungary for one year after arrival in Hungary, provided that a certified Hungarian translation is attached to the document. U.S. citizens who are in possession of an international driver's license do not need to have their state driver's license translated, but must have both the state and the international licenses on hand when driving.

After one year of residence in Hungary, U.S. citizens must obtain a Hungarian driver's license.

The five Hungarian driver's license categories are:

  • 'A' Motorcycles with maximum 125cm3 cubic capacity or maximum 11 kW capacity
  • 'B' Motor vehicles, other than those in category 'A', having a permissible maximum weight not to exceed 3,500 kg (7,700 lb)
  • 'C' Motor vehicles that exceed 3,500 kg (7,700 lb), including the ones with a light trailer, with the exception of buses and trolley buses
  • 'D' Bus or van used for transporting passengers, including the ones with a light trailer
  • There are different other categories for heavy trucks, trolley buses, trams, etc.  

Application forms and information are available at the district Document Registrar Office. In certain cases (i.e., where the fitness to drive cannot be established from the foreign driver's license), an appropriate health certificate must be attached. When the Hungarian driver's license is issued, the American one will be held by the police for the duration of the bearer's use of the Hungarian license (which is valid everywhere in Europe). The police may waive this requirement if the bearer has no other means of identification. For more detailed information, inquiries should be addressed to the Document Registrar Office nearest to the U.S. citizen's residence.

Lost or Stolen U.S. Driver's Licenses

U.S. Driver's Licenses: The Embassy is not authorized to replace lost, stolen or expired driver's licenses. Only the issuing office, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the driver's home state, can perform that service. If you need an address or a telephone number, you can search the Internet for your state's contact information or you can consult the DMV list at American Citizen Services (no guarantee that we will have every state).

International Driving Permit

The International Driving Permit is valid in over 150 countries; the permit contains your name, photo and driver information translated into ten languages, and is usually valid for one year. This license is not intended to replace valid U.S. State licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid license. They are usually available at your local AAA office. However, if you are currently overseas, you can mail your completed application form to the AAA office closest to your place of residence in the US (for office locations please check the AAA web site). To apply for your International Driving Permit through the mail, enclose your completed application form (available on AAA's web site), two original passport-size photos, the 15.00 USD permit fee, and a photocopy of your current driver’s license. Other companies also provide international driver’s license; they can be found on the Internet.