Regional Environmental, Science & Technology, and Health Hub for Central and Eastern Europe
Last Updated on 03/0/2015
Szabadság tér 12, H-1054 Budapest
Telephone: (36-1) 475-4670, (36-1) 475-4456, (36-1) 475-4439
Fax: (36-1) 475-4764, (36-1) 475-4027
The Department of State established the Regional Environmental, Science & Technology, and Health (ESTH) Hub for Central and Eastern Europe in 2001. A Director and two Specialists – one on environmental and clean energy issues and the other on science & technology and health issues – carry out the regional work of the Hub from the U.S. Embassy in Budapest.
The Hub focuses its efforts on the following 20 countries: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Macedonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Ukraine.
To increase cooperation on trans-boundary environment, science and technology and health issues.
What We Do
- Promote sustainable development and a smart energy future to combat climate change;
- Support trans-boundary water cooperation and nature conservation;
- Encourage strengthened environmental protection through policy changes and law enforcement training;
- Advocate for policies that foster innovation, economic growth and shared prosperity; and
- Manage relevant projects that bring together governments and stakeholders across the region.
Suggested Reading Materials
- Building an Innovation Ecosystem
Op-ed by Raffi Balian, Regional Environmental, Science & Technology, and Health Attaché for Central and Eastern Europe, U.S. Department of State
Published in Hungarian in Figyelő economic weekly magazine (October 30, 2014)
in Hungarian (pdf 550KB)
in Czech, published in the Czech E15 business daily (February 11, 2015) (pdf 56KB)
- Raffi Balian’s speech at the Lviv Business School in Ukraine (May 13, 2014) (video)
- Transboundary cooperation is a precondition for preventing future disasters
Interview with Raffi Balian, Director of the Regional Environmental, Science & Technology, and Health Hub for Central And Eastern Europe
Published in Sava NewsFlash, No. 13, May 2014, p. 8-9
- Interviews with Andrew Gillespie, Associate Director, EPA, Office of Research and Development, National Exposure Research Laboratory. Dr. Gillespie is currently an Embassy Science Fellow visiting Hungary, Slovakia and Macedonia.
-- Central European University Weekly (02/04/2015) (in English; on pages 5-6; PDF 2.4MB)
-- Figyelő (02/18/2015) (in Hungarian; PDF 2.3MB)
-- Népszabadság (in Hungarian)
"Building an Innovation Ecosystem"
Embassy Science Fellow
Interviews with Andrew Gillespie, Associate Director, EPA, Office of Research and Development, National Exposure Research Laboratory. Dr. Gillespie is currently an Embassy Science Fellow visiting Hungary, Slovakia and Macedonia.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.