Last Updated on 10/02/2015
- Have a question for the National Visa Center (NVC)? The NVC has introduced a new public online form to reduce customer response time. Access this form on the U.S. Visas website.
- Due to a consular systems upgrade, consular operations at the U.S. Embassy Budapest will be closed to the public on Friday, October 9. If you already have an appointment scheduled for this date, you will be contacted by the U.S. Visa Service Desk to reschedule. For any emergency travel, please look at the instructions on requesting an emergency appointment here, or contact Visas directly at (061) 701-2000 (in Hungary) or 1-703-520-2570 (from the U.S.). For emergency American Citizen Services, contact us directly at (061) 475-4164 (in Hungary) or 011-36-1-475-4164 (from the U.S.). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Applicants may direct case-specific visa inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Non-immigrant and immigrant visa application fees for certain visa categories will change on September 12, 2014. All visa applicants must pay the fee amounts in effect on the day they pay, with the exception of Immigrant Visa application processing fees paid domestically to the National Visa Center (NVC), which will be effective as of the date of billing.
Fees that will decrease are not refundable. If you paid a visa fee before September 12, 2014 and that fee decreased, we cannot give you a refund. More information about U.S. visas
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Announces Enhanced Security Measures for Travelers to the United States (July 6, 2014)
- Quick link: Diversity Visa Winners - Interview Preparation Instructions
Overview of Immigrant Visas and Contact Information
How to Get Your Visa
If your immigrant visa application is approved, we will put your visa in your passport and send the completed visa packet and passport to you by courier at no extra charge. Prior to your appointment date, you must go to Visa Information and Appointments and follow the steps to register and arrange for delivery of your visa and documents. Please register your delivery location BEFORE going to your interview. If you do not, there may be a delay in the return of your visa.
What is an Immigrant Visa?
An immigrant visa is required of anyone who wishes to enter the United States to reside there permanently, whether or not that person plans to seek employment in the United States.
U.S. immigration law provides for the issuance of immigrant visas in four general categories:
For more information please visit the web site of the Department of State.
Might you Have a Claim to U.S. Nationality via Parent(s)?
An immigrant visa may only be processed for a child if he/she has no claim to U.S. citizenship. For more information please visit our Claim to U.S. Nationality via Parent(s) page.
Immigrant Visa Unit
Szabadság tér 12.
Appointments: All appointments at U.S. Embassy Budapest for Family and Employment-Based Visa application interviews are scheduled by the National Visa Center. Diversity-based visa application interviews are scheduled by the Kentucky Consular Center. In all other cases, including requests for information packets for pending cases, visa/passport/document pick-up, to submit additional documents, to abandon LPR status or to request a boarding letter, please visit the Contact us page on Visa Information and Appointments and send an e-mail.
For Diversity Visa Winners
Diversity Visa Program Scammers Sending Fraudulent Emails and Letters (State Department warning)