U.S. Citizen Services
Overview of American Citizen Services and Contact Information
Last Updated on 10/01/2015
- Due to a consular systems upgrade, consular operations at the U.S. Embassy Budapest will be closed to the public on Friday, October 9. If you already have an appointment scheduled for this date, you will be contacted by the U.S. Visa Service Desk to reschedule. For any emergency travel, please look at the instructions on requesting an emergency appointment here, or contact Visas directly at (061) 701-2000 (in Hungary) or 1-703-520-2570 (from the U.S.). For emergency American Citizen Services, contact us directly at (061) 475-4164 (in Hungary) or 011-36-1-475-4164 (from the U.S.). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Message for U.S. Citizens: Road Closures at Hungary-Serbia Border
This message is to inform U.S. citizens traveling or living in Hungary that authorities have closed the Hungary-Serbia border at the E75 highway crossing at Roszke-Horgos and the border crossing at Asotthalom – Backi Vinogradi. Hungarian police advise motorists who intend to cross the Hungary-Serbia border to use road 53 at Tompa-Kelebija. Serbian and Hungarian railways report that international rail traffic is currently operating on schedule.
For more information, please check the Hungarian National Police website and the Hungarian National Railway website. Both websites provide information in English. Please note that some updates may be available only in Hungarian.
- Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Travel Delays at Keleti Railway Station
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Guidance for the 2015 Tax Filing Season
- Worldwide Caution (July 29, 2015)
- Newsletter (volume 2, Issue 2; July/September 2015 (PDF 410KMB)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Announces Enhanced Security Measures for Travelers to the United States (July 6, 2014)
- Emergency Messages for U.S. Citizens
- Changes in FBU contact information
- Demonstration Information Webpage
- Regular hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m.) calls: (36-1) 475-4164
- After-hours (5 p.m.-8 a.m.) emergency calls: (36-1) 475-4400
- Appointment System for American Citizen Services
Please make your appointment before you visit the Consular Section. (more about the Appointment System)
To make an appointment regarding Social Security benefits please call the (36-1) 475-4453 phone number Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 3:00 – 4:30 pm only.
Overview of Services
The American Citizen Services (ACS) Section provides assistance with U.S. passports, Reports of Births Abroad to U.S. Citizens, Reports of Death, voting abroad, notary services, Federal Benefits, and a few other, specialized consular services, such as repatriation loans, prison visits to incarcerated Americans and welfare and whereabouts queries. ACS cannot act as your travel agent, bank, interpreter, employment office, lawyer, investigator or law enforcement agent, or assist with personal legal, medical, etc., matters. However, ACS can tell you how to receive help on these and other matters. Should questions arise while browsing through this guide, do not hesitate to contact us.
American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy
Szabadság tér 12.
- After-hours (5 p.m.-8 a.m.) emergency calls: (36-1) 475-4400. An Embassy Duty Officer will be on call to handle emergencies.
- Toll-free number for the Overseas Citizen Services if calling within the U.S.: 1-888-407-4747.
Callers who are unable to use toll-free numbers, such as those calling from overseas, may reach the hotline by calling 1-317-472-2328 or 1-202-501-4444.
- (36-1) 475-4113/4188
- General e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
(For visa questions see e-mails below.)
- Federal Benefits Unit: email@example.com
- U.S. Visa Information and Appointments
- Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
- Friday 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- A person with a lost or stolen passport may come in at any time during business hours.
- ACS is closed on Hungarian and American holidays.
Make an Appointment
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.