U.S. Citizen Services
Overview of American Citizen Services and Contact Information
Last Updated on 03/23/2016
- Europe Travel Alert: The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL. (more)
- Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Security in Europe (December 24, 2015)
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Guidance for the 2015 Tax Filing Season
- Worldwide Caution (March 3, 2016)
- Newsletter (volume 2, Issue 2; July/September 2015 (PDF 410KMB)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Announces Enhanced Security Measures for Travelers to the United States (July 6, 2014)
- Emergency Messages for U.S. Citizens
- Demonstration Information Webpage
- Regular hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m.) calls: (36-1) 475-4164
- After-hours (5 p.m.-8 a.m.) emergency calls: (36-1) 475-4400
- Appointment System for American Citizen Services
Please make your appointment before you visit the Consular Section. (more about the Appointment System)
To make an appointment regarding Social Security benefits please call the (36-1) 475-4453 phone number Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 3:00 – 4:30 pm only.
Overview of Services
The American Citizen Services (ACS) Section provides assistance with U.S. passports, Reports of Births Abroad to U.S. Citizens, Reports of Death, voting abroad, notary services, Federal Benefits, and a few other, specialized consular services, such as repatriation loans, prison visits to incarcerated Americans and welfare and whereabouts queries. ACS cannot act as your travel agent, bank, interpreter, employment office, lawyer, investigator or law enforcement agent, or assist with personal legal, medical, etc., matters. However, ACS can tell you how to receive help on these and other matters. Should questions arise while browsing through this guide, do not hesitate to contact us.
American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy
Szabadság tér 12.
- After-hours (5 p.m.-8 a.m.) emergency calls: (36-1) 475-4400. An Embassy Duty Officer will be on call to handle emergencies.
- Toll-free number for the Overseas Citizen Services if calling within the U.S.: 1-888-407-4747.
Callers who are unable to use toll-free numbers, such as those calling from overseas, may reach the hotline by calling 1-317-472-2328 or 1-202-501-4444.
- (36-1) 475-4113/4188
- General e-mail: email@example.com
(For visa questions see e-mails below.)
- Federal Benefits Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Visa Information and Appointments
- Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
- Friday 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- A person with a lost or stolen passport may come in at any time during business hours.
- ACS is closed on Hungarian and American holidays.
Make an Appointment
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.