Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Study in the U.S.

Study in the United States

Last Updated on 11/16/2015

Please also visit:

On this page:

The U.S. Educational System

The United States does not have a national school system. Nor, with the exception of the military academies, are there schools run by the federal government. But the government provides guidance and funding for federal educational programs in which both public and private schools take part, and the U.S. Department of Education oversees these programs.

In the United States, a college is an institution of higher learning that offers courses in related subjects. A liberal arts college, for example, offers courses in literature, languages, history, philosophy, and the sciences, while a business college offers courses in accounting, investment, and marketing. Many colleges are independent and award bachelor's degrees to those completing a program of instruction that typically takes four years. But colleges can also be components of universities. A large university typically comprises several colleges, graduate programs in various fields, one or more professional schools (for example, a law school or a medical school), and one or more research facilities. (Americans often use the word "college" as shorthand for either a college or a university.)

Every state has its own university, and some states operate large networks of colleges and universities. Some cities also have their own public universities. In many areas, junior or community colleges provide a bridge between secondary school and four-year colleges for some students. In junior colleges, students can generally complete their first two years of college courses at low cost and remain close to home. Unlike public elementary and secondary schools, public colleges and universities usually charge tuition.

The Fulbright Program in Hungary

The goal of the Hungarian-American Fulbright Commission for Educational Exchange is to support educational and research programs which are in harmony with the spirit of the signing partner states and which receive financial support from the two governments. The Fulbright Commission organizes the exchange of Hungarian and American graduate students, scholars, researchers, lecturers and artists. The aim of the Commission is to increase the visibility of the Fulbright Program in Hungary and to encourage possibilities for scholarly exchange between the two countries.

Student Advising

Applying to study in the United States is not a simple process, but there are good resources available to help you understand what to do. The United States Government provides education information centers in nearly every country, and there are also extensive Internet resources. As you make your plans, the best way to start is to visit the closest U.S. educational advising center. At the center, a well-trained educational adviser and a comprehensive reference collection will help you get familiar with the applications process, select the institution, seek financial aid, and prepare for the required standardized tests (TOEFL, SAT, GRE). You can find centers in Budapest, Debrecen, Miskolc, Pécs and Szeged. The Fulbright Educational Advising Center maintains a complete list of centers in Hungary.


If you want to enter an American college or university, you are required to take certain standardized tests such as TOEFLSAT, GRE, GMAT, or LSAT. Most of them are organized by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), and can be taken in Hungary.

For information on the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), please visit the USMLE web site.  

Colleges and Universities in the U.S.

To obtain further information on the colleges and universities, you may wish to visit the American Universities web site, or the home page of the Peterson's Educational Center.

Visa Information

For information about visas, please visit our Student Visas and Exchange Visitor Visas pages.