Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Last Updated on 04/07/2016

U.S. Federal Taxes (IRS)

  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Provides Guidance for the 2015 Tax Filing Season
    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has provided the following guidance for U.S. citizens abroad preparing for the 2015 tax filing season.  This IRS guidance is available on the Federal Benefits and Obligations Abroad page on  

U.S. citizens must report their worldwide income on their federal income tax returns.  Living or earning income outside the United States does not relieve a U.S. citizen of the responsibility for filing tax returns.  However, U.S. citizens living and/or working abroad may be entitled to various deductions, exclusions, and credits.  The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit does not have federal tax forms.  For more information on general U.S. tax issues, please consult the IRS web site.  For basic tax information for U.S. citizens overseas, please visit the U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad page of the Internal Revenue Service.

If you are a taxpayer with specific individual or business account questions you should contact the International Taxpayer Service Call Center by phone or fax. The International Call Center is operational Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).
Tel: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
Fax: 267-941-1055

If you are a tax professional or software provider calling about an e-file issue and it is not account related, please contact the e-help office in Austin at 512-416-7750 (not toll-free).  Assistors are available Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Central time).

Taxpayer service, formerly offered by IRS officers overseas, is no longer available. 

Individual taxpayers located outside the U.S. may also contact the IRS by mail at:

Internal Revenue Service
International Accounts
Philadelphia, PA 19255-0725

Business taxpayers located outside the U.S. may also contact the IRS by mail at:

Internal Revenue Service
International Accounts         
Ogden, UT 84201-0038

Residents of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands may contact the IRS toll free at 1-800-829-1040. (Hours of Operation are 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday - Friday). For face-to-face assistance information in Puerto Rico refer to Contact My Local Office in Puerto Rico.

International Taxpayer Advocate:

To request Taxpayer Advocate assistance, call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free number at 1-877-777-4778, or refer to Contact a Local Taxpayer Advocate (LTA) in Caribbean US Territories (Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands) and International or Contact a Local Taxpayer Advocate (LTA) in Hawaii & Pacific US Territories (Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands).

U.S. State Tax Information

The American Citizen Services does not have state tax forms. For your convenience, we list the states' tax web sites below.

Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Puerto Rico | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming

Hungarian Tax Information

For information on Hungarian tax please visit the National Tax and Customs Administration of Hungary website.

Tax Accountants and Consultants 

Please note: We provide these names for your convenience only. The Embassy assumes no responsibility for their professional ability or integrity.

Alatorre and Phraner Tax Services - U.S. tax preparation services in Hungarian & English. Lloyd W. Phraner is a tax advisor who provides year round tax services in Hungary. He can be reached by dialing 36-21-252-3369 after 4 PM Hungarian time or by e-mail: Lloyd Phraner is available for meetings in Hungary from May thru June.

Artio Partners is a CPA firm specializing in US expatriate tax preparation and consulting for Americans living abroad and dual citizens. Our expertise is FBAR, FATCA, PFIC, foreign real estate, foreign adoption and controlled foreign corporation. Flat Fees. CPA Expert Help. The firm works with American expats from all parts of the world.
Contact person: ZM Ishmurzina
Telephone: +1/312-235-2167

Christa Hannah Igaz, Esq. provides legal and tax services to individuals and corporations in connection with international and multi-jurisdictional matters. She advises domestic and foreign entities regarding business law and taxation. Christa is a licensed attorney in California and Hungary. Her practice is located in Santa Monica, California, and she visits Budapest 4 times a year to assist the local clients.
Services are offered in English and Hungarian.
Address: Igaz Law
233 Wilshire Blvd., 7th Floor
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Tel: +1/310.310.3232

Cody N. Moore has over 25 years experience in taxation and he is a former IRS agent.
American Tax Group
Contact: Cody N. Moore
Denver, Colorado 80234
Tel.: +1/720-343-0025
Fax: +1/720-302-2836

GLS Global LLC offer expert counsel in tax compliance matters. Their areas of practice include personal, corporate and fiduciary income tax planning and compliance filing including the recently expanded Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR) filing requirements.
Contact person: Frederick F. Scheing
Telephone: +1/302-351-8196
Mailing address: P.O. Box 7243, Wilmington, DE 19803, USA

Greenback Expat Tax Services specializes in the preparation of US expat taxes for Americans living abroad. Our expert CPAs and IRS Enrolled Agents work 100% with expats.
Greenback Expat Tax Services
2885 Sanford Avenue
SW #14877
Grandville, MI 49418
Tel: US Toll Free +1/888-362-5032

Hola Expat Tax Services
John Ohe
5a Avenida Sur Final
San José de Belén # 5
Antigua Guatemala 03001
Guatemala, C.A.
Tel.: +1/732-276-1000

Miklos Ringbauer CPA, PMP provides accounting, tax preparation and consulting services for American individuals living abroad and for Hungarian nationals and businesses subject to US tax laws and reporting including FBAR. Services are offered in English and Hungarian.
Category: Accounting Services, US Tax Strategy & Preparation Mailing Address: Miklos Ringbauer, CPA, PMP
1613 Chelsea Road #228
San Marino, CA 91108
TEL - US: +1/949-338-0162
TEL - HU: +36/1-555-9230

Online Taxman is a NYC based virtual CPA firm specializing in US expatriates and Non Residents with US interests (companies, real estate, investments, etc.) Everyone on our team is a lawyer or CPA focused on international taxation, from company formation and international tax planning to Voluntary Disclosure program to an FBAR, you will get a personal CPA to handle your situation.  Sign up for a free consultation with a CPA - NO OBLIGATION. Expert Advice. Personalized Service. Painless.
Address: 347 Fifth Ave, Suite 1402- 171, New York, NY 10016, USA
Telephone: +1/855-682-9626      
Fax: +1/815-550-8651

Parent, Parent & Wynn LLP
Attorneys, CPAs & Enrolled Agents handling complicated overseas tax problems for US Persons.
144 South Main Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
Tel: +1-888-477-4258
Fax: +1-203-269-0385

Stacy D. Collier, CPA
Tel: +1346-231-1195

Tax Planner CPA LP – They are an office of Certified Public Accountants and attorneys that specialize in the taxation of U.S. taxpayers living abroad. They are able to work remotely with U.S. taxpayers living outside the USA.
Company information:
Company Name: Tax Planner CPA LP
Description: Tax Preparer | U.S. Taxes | Tax Online | Tax Planner CPA - U.S. Certified Public Accountants that specialize in the taxation of U.S. Taxpayers living abroad.
Telephone: +1/855-TAX-2555 or +1/617-639-5550

Tax Samaritan: has the experience and knowledge of the tax code to guide you through the complex expatriate tax preparation process, including, but not limited to the foreign earned income exclusion, foreign tax credit and reporting your foreign financial accounts on the FBAR. They offer a simple and straightforward process to save you time and money.
Address: Tax Samaritan
Randall Brody, EA (Enrolled Agent), MBA, CCP
4894 W. Lone Mountain Rd #164
Las Vegas, NV 89130
Phone: US Tel: +1/702-350-1050

Taxes for Expats is a NYC-based tax preparation firm specializing on American taxpayers living abroad. They have over 18 years of experience helping US expatriates and focus only on the American expat community. They offer an Instant Upfront Quote and provide extensive knowledge-base on US expat tax issues on their website.
Contact person: I.J. Zemelman
Tel:  +1/646 EXPAT-US (397-2887)
Address: 121 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10016, USA

Other listings may also be found in The Budapest Sun, a weekly English-language newspaper.

New regulations under Internal Revenue Code Section 7216, Disclosure or Use of Tax Information by Preparers of Returns, became effective January 1, 2009. These regulations limit tax return preparers' use and disclosure of information obtained during the return preparation process to activities directly related to the preparation of the return. The regulations, along with supplemental Revenue Procedure 2008-35 contain the updated rules and requirements relating to disclosure and use of tax return information. These regulations apply to paid and volunteer preparers and the administrative staff that supports them. Failure to comply may result in criminal or civil penalties. See the IRC 7216 information page for more details. Frequently Asked Questions about this topic are available on the IRS web site.